Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Obake Inspiration #2 - Hari Onago



It’s Pinnotheres again today!  Seckmea has totally been carrying this thing in my absence, and carrying it far better than I ever could myself.  So happy she is here!

I’ve built up a few projects to post about, and the first is my most recent obake (Japanese shapeshifter) drawing.  I remember saying something about how my next obake character sketch would be of the hook-haired woman (hari-onago), and I have a hand sketch of her here that just won’t be anything else:

Argggggg!


Somehow, this one didn’t make it to my digital workspace, though, as I was hoping it would.  It has remained in pencil and I really can’t bring myself to ink or digitize it.  I don’t know, maybe the scratchy-sketchy pencil work just feels more suited to her and her freaky hair, or maybe I haven’t found what’s right for her yet.  If I had more skill in converting stuff like this to digital, I’d probably not worry too much about losing the feel of this character in the process.  I do believe, however, that sometimes you have to let the piece tell you what medium it wants to work through.

Enough philosophizing, let’s get to the obake story!  I love ghost stories, and the hari-onago is a really creepy one!  Apparently, she preys on young men in particular.  She appears on roads in the moonlight, disguised as a beautiful young woman, and upon targeting a male traveler, begins to laugh at him.  If he laughs back, she unleashes her long, barbed tresses and uses them to dispatch him (source: www.obakemono.com).

My hari-onago is in the process of attacking the viewer, each lock of serpentine hair ending in a barbed fish hook.  I don’t know what the obake’s true face is supposed to look like, so I left it largely featureless, which frankly I find deeply disturbing.  I think it might be a large part of what makes the Slenderman meme-monster-thing so terrifying (check out the creepypasta wiki if you’ve managed to miss this one).  You can imagine just about anything going on behind that blank façade of his.  This sketch is a little more expressive, but I still find it far more frightening than something with fangs and flaming eyes.

Traditional ghosts scare me a lot more than modern movie ghosts.  They follow such specific and yet alien logic, and there’s something disturbing about that, too…as though the really old stories are letting us in on the workings of a complex and malevolent world just beyond our perception.  

Uh…nevermind…NEXT UP…the kitsune, or fox-spirit.  Excited to show this one in a few days!  The project is done, just thinking about what I want to say…
Love, art, and summer spookies by,
Pinnotheres.

No comments:

Post a Comment