Well, for me it is several things:
1. Modification can be "modifying" something to take something that is "almost" right into something "perfect" for whatever you are going to use it for.
2. It can also be a form of recycling...or as the fashion is to call it these days "up-cycling"...which I guess makes it seem like the original object wasn't something you were going to toss in the trash moments before you modified it into something you are now going to use.
3. Or it can be where you take something that you like...and still want...but it has been broken/abused and needs some help if it is to continue to function in a way that is optimal.
As you can see...all three of these things are closely related. They are all forms of recycling really.
What does Modification have to do with art you ask?
I think it takes a creative person to see past what something IS to see what it could be. In addition...sometimes there is an awful lot of creative work necessary for this transformation to take place.
Examples of things that I have done with modification.
Taking something that is perfectly fine...and modifying it so that it matches what you imagine it could be. I was playing a game (Dungeons and Dragons...it can be much fun if you play with friends who forgive you horrid math skills) and I needed a game piece that reflected a winged tiger...a mystical winged tiger. Obviously, this was a difficult thing to find. However, it was an easy thing to make!
I just took an old toy from my childhood (I think it went to a zoo set)
and attached "wings" to it (created out of the red cellophane from a box of chocolates I had recently received for Valentines Day).
And TaDa!!! Perfect game piece.
I think it turned out rather well.
Happy Crafting! Seckmea.



No comments:
Post a Comment