Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Keeping Dream Catchers Unique

It can be difficult to keep an item "fresh" or continue to keep each one unique... especially when you have been making an item for a long time which is the case for me and Dream Catchers.

When I learned to make Dream Catchers I was taught to make a hoop with a 9 inch to 12 inch diameter and as close to circular as possible. But soon I grew bored with such a regimented size and shape. And I started to make them larger and larger. At one point I also started to change from nearly circular shapes to adding tear-drop shaped or oval-shaped hoops depending on my mood. The largest one I ever made was a three foot tall tear drop...it was incredibly difficult to keep the tension while I wove the net and I decided then that bigger may not always be better. In addition, I realized that not everyone has space for something that large in their homes.

Originally the hoop was covered in a neutrally colored hemp fiber...making the beads and feathers focal points. But soon I started to use other colors...and in some cases other fibers...I love bamboo yarn for the soft sheen it adds to the look of a Dream Catcher hoop.

And of course different feathers and beads add to the uniqueness of each Dream Catcher.

I have always tried to tailor the color and bead choices to the person I was making the Dream Catcher for (though, admittedly there have been times when I made something far more gaudy than the person would have normally chosen for themselves....I just love sparkle and color and have a hard time resisting them). This is why I love making them for babies...they find the abundance of colors and shiny objects interesting rather than reminiscent of a dragon hoard or crows nest.

But, a few years ago I was given a spool of copper wire...and I fell in love. (I have probably talked about copper already) It is so easy to manipulate! It has a soft warm shine to it and looks good with a multitude of other colored items! You can get the stuff that always looks like copper or the stuff that naturally ages to a verdigris petina. It also comes in different weights so you can use it for many different applications. You can also get it in colors other than copper...so many options...

So, naturally copper started to find its way onto my Dream Catchers. It is hard to restrain myself...but I remind myself that the other items on the Dream Catchers are also important.

And then there are bells...

Now, not everyone likes bells...so that needs to be considered. Also, not ever bell sounds the same or has the tone you want/like so it is good to check each bell and make sure you like it...and if being put with others, that you like how they sound together. I personally adore bells...especially tiny brass bells and I put them on all types of hanging decorations...I would wear them too...but they turn my skin colors.

Below are some pictures of Dreams Catchers where copper has been used in abundance...

Happy Crafting
Seckmea

No comments:

Post a Comment