Sunday, April 26, 2015

Sensory gifts

I have a nephew who chews his nails so much they bleed. His mother, my sister, recently asked me to make him something he could chew on instead of his nails.

After some research we found some silicone beads meant to be used as teething devices. We bought several.

I then asked him his favorite color...and he informed me that he liked more than one color and proceeded to give me a list. After hearing his list I was reminded of this lovely over-dyed hemp cording I had. So, I showed that to him and asked his thoughts. He said it was wondeful (he has excellent taste) and I proceeded to make him a necklace and attach the beads.

This first necklace was a hit, but after he wore it for several days the beads came off. It turns out that version one was a bit to short for comfort and the beads weren't attached well enough to be chewed on for long periods of time.

So, after carefully considering the issues I created a second version. We will see if this one works better.

No comments:

Post a Comment