Friday, March 27, 2015

Capes: Revisited

Nothing says "great job" or "fantastic gift" than the request for the same item again...either for the same individual or for someone else.

Last week my brother requested I make a cape, like the one I made for his son, for one of his son's friends.

I was of course happy to do so. However, his vague "measurements" were less than helpful. Honestly, how am I, the artist, supposed to make the perfect super hero cape from "they are a little shorter than my son, but not much"--I tried to explain that I needed something clearer than that otherwise the cape could be too big (not such a problem as the child could then grow into it) or...too small (and that would be horrible).

I like giving gifts...it is one of the many things that I love about crafting...you then have items personalized for another person which end up making wonderful gifts they could not otherwise have gotten...it is a matter of pride to me that I give good gifts. If I make you something it is because I want you to use and love the item...I don't give too small capes to children...even if I don't know them. 

However, after consulting with my sister-in-law I was able to get a roughly good estimate of the child's size. 

I then went and got fabrics in two of the favorite colors (pink and purple) and decided to amp up the girly factor I would also add a ruffled satin ribbon detail. Of course, I decided this and bought the ribbon without considering that I would want to ruffle it by hand...so a cape that would have take a half hour...actually took over an hour...what can I say...I am a perfectionist and wanted the ribbon ruffled just so

I think it turned out rather well. I particularly like the ribbon. quite pleased. And have decided I will probably have to do that to a quilt one day...but one that I keep for myself of course. Once finished it languished on my desk for three days before I finally managed to mail it out to my brother...it was apparently a hit! and my reputation as a supreme gift creator and giver is still safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment