I believe in owning the best. Doesn't matter if I have to save up for it longer. If it is a more durable product, or a prettier product, or just fits my needs better then I will save up for it.
Typically, I choose function first...is it a tool I need? Does it meet all the needs I will demand of it? Does it do more than what I currently need it to? Do I have space to store it? How often do I think I will be using said object?
When it comes to clothing, jewelry, or shoes I am even more picky. What is the projected lifespan of the object when one considers how rough I am on said objects? Is repair possible/affordable? What type of up keep is required? Is it my style?
The style question is pretty important. As a child I had my mom's style (she chose my outfits and I wore them even when I thought they were ugly). As I got older I was allowed more say in what I wore...but not full control. The fact that I have never seen the issue with wearing stripes, flowers, and paisley in the same outfit probably contributed to this.
In addition, style is individual but clothing is generally mass production. So, since I don't sew my own clothes I have to find items that I like that are my style from what is produced to meet the desires of the most people. This can be tricky. Especially if you are a person who would wear stripes and flowers together.
So, sometimes this means that one just cannot find what you want. It doesn't exist. However, that is okay! Because, if you can find something close to what you want you can customize it a bit and Bam! You then have a perfect item that is unique to you and fits your personality and needs.
A perfect example of this is my brother's boots. He received them in the mail yesterday. I thought that they were perfectly lovely. ..but he didn't like the Blue-Grey color that they came in (he wanted them quickly and the only one in his size they had in stock was the blue). So, he decided to customize them by dying the leather black...The result is now a hybrid of the black boot he originally wanted and the blue boot he got....and he likes it even better than the straight black version. This is really what customization is all about. ..taking something you LIKE and tweaking it to create something that you LOVE.
Below you will find a picture of a typical clothing combination for me...and before and after shots of my brother's boots.
No comments:
Post a Comment