Wednesday, August 13, 2014

The Art of the Unexpected

For a long time I have had a habit of leaving notes, cards, letters, and small surprises for friends and family.  I love to do this. 

I feel an unexpected gift is a glorious thing...And I don't want the other person to feel pressured to respond in any particular way...so, I leave them where they will be noticed but not necessarily right away. 

What is even better, is if the item isn't spied immediately. ..But is instead discovered a bit later--perhaps when the recipient is not having the best of days. Because by letting nature take its course said gift was there for my friend or family at just the right moment. 

I had thought that the perfectly executed surprise gift, found at such a moment as described above, was the peak of this forum of art. But I was mistaken.  How? You ask. ..It sounds like the height of perfection. .. But, my niece has shown me the error of this assumption.

The peak of perfection in this art form,  as I have just discovered,  is when another person figures out what you have been doing and copies you by leaving someone an unexpected gift/note. This is of course what has happened to me. My dearest niece has ambushed me with an unexpected card/note!

Of course,  being the recipient of the Unexpected Gift would be my preferred method of discovering that someone I knew was also giving unexpected gifts.

I'm so proud of her!  And pleased she chose to give me said unexpected treat. And to think, she is only 9 years old!! The fact that it was a thank you card for celebrating her birthday with her makes it even more sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment