Monday, March 24, 2014

Stash Discoveries...

One of the best things about Spring Cleaning is finding projects/times in your stash that you forgot that you had! Now, typically, I am organized enough that this does not happen. However, no one is perfect. And, therefore, I too discover forgotten projects while reorganizing during my annual Spring Deep Clean (SDC). I am always happy to rediscover these items...and nine times out of ten they are partially completed projects or quick kits that I had put away for some reason or another.

I know what you are thinking...you are thinking that I reorganize these items for completion once I am done with my SDC...and I thank you for thinking so highly of me. But no...that isn't what happens. What usually happens is I decide upon unearthing said project/kit that I am in dire need of a mental health break...so that I am not overwhelmed by the monumental organizational task I have set for myself...and I leave my Spring Cleaning behind and work on whatever project has suddenly caught my fancy.

Thankfully for my goal of ultimately deep cleaning my house in a reasonable amount of time...most of these projects take practically no time to complete.

One of the ones I found last week was a cork trivet project. I saw an "upcycled" (basically that is just a fancy word for recycling something into something very nice) cork trivet and thought...brilliant...I must make one of those! So, I had done some research on Pinterest (since I wasn't sure how to best do it), decided on the design I liked the best (i.e., what I thought would be easiest for me to do), and then sourced my materials. I got used corks from my dad (he likes to save them) and then I got a plumbers pipe gasket-y thing...it is like a flat metal thing that you put on a pipe to hold it together I guess...I got that from the hardware store. I then borrowed a tool from my dad to tighten the screw thing on the plumbers thing. My dad called it a "nut-driver." And with those three things in hand...I made a lovely trivet for all of my Cast Iron pots and pans!  I am rather proud of it...despite having to have my dad tighten it up a bit (I was sadly too weak to tighten it as securely as it needed to be...which is hardly a surprise as I have difficulty opening jars too...and that is the same muscles...just going in the opposite direction.)



As you can see...it is as cute as can be! And honestly...took like 10 minutes to put together after I had gathered everything to do it. Now, I have a lovely trivet made out of recycled corks that I can use for years to come! And in addition to that...it was so easy...I am thinking this would make a great quickly made gift to give to someone for a housewarming gift or any short notice gift for someone who enjoys cooking! (I always like to have some quick back up gifts in case I foolishly lose track of time and end up needing a nice gift suddenly).

Happy Crafting!
Seckmea

No comments:

Post a Comment