Spring has arrived...and with it the annual need to deep clean my house has once again sprung to life! I blame my mother...every year in March she would fling the doors and windows open (no matter if it was a howling thunderstorm outside or a sunny day) and she would begin the deep cleaning of our house. I am not sure what triggered this excess of cleaning enthusiasm...but I have found that I have been thoroughly conditioned to repeat it. For me the trigger is the change in how the air smells...it suddenly smells like there is life there...as if the earth around me has realized winter is nearly over and they cannot wait to begin doing whatever it is that they do once spring is in full swing. This usually happens not long after the snowdrops bloom.
Snowdrops from February
I have those in my yard and they are one of my favorite flowers. (Indeed these ones are from my yard!) This year the need to clean struck about two weekends ago...a very wet blustery day Saturday. I woke up early, and I was abuzz with energy--Cleaning Energy--I didn't want to go shopping. I didn't want to cook. I didn't want to work on my quilt. I wanted to clean. To bring freshness into my house...despite the fact that that freshness would be particularly damp. I decided while I was at this cleaning I should rearrange my furniture...why I decided this knowing that I would be moving it all by myself is still beyond my understanding. But, there you go.
I opened the windows and doors to let the air in and I moved the bed, the dresser, the desk, the other dresser, my craft supplies, my file cabinets, my sewing machine, and my mini-fridge into my living room and begun the carpet cleaning (I like to go from the bottom up). I took my curtains down and tossed them into the washing machine with vinegar and lavender oil to freshen them up and remove any dust clinging to them after a long winter. I moved my book shelves into the hallway (after removing the books and my knick-knacks as they were far too heavy to move otherwise) and dusted all my books and the ceiling fan (something I really need to do more often). I cleaned the cat fountain (I do that every 4th Saturday so it was time), and then I dusted all the corners of my ceiling...whether they needed it or not. I also wiped down the walls...I have nephews and nieces...it is surprising how and what they tend to touch.
Unsurprisingly, at this point I was running out of steam...I was tired from all the heavy moving I had done and cleaning I am afraid isn't all that easy when you get down to it. Besides I had to wait for the carpet to dry. Unfortunately, I had chosen to do all this spring cleaning on a rainy day...so...the carpet decided to take three days to fully dry...during that time I slept in the living room since I couldn't put my furniture back onto a wet floor (then it would never dry). I probably could have moved everything back in the second day...but I wanted to be sure it was perfectly dry.
Once I moved my furniture back in it took me several tries to get it to the way I wanted it. My cat, Simon, hates the new layout...he keeps walking around unsure of what to do with himself and pouting.
Here Simon is pouting on the desk--not that pouting will do him any good. I love the new layout!
All of this furniture moving has also inspired me to go through my wardrobe, craft supplies, and dishes...I plan to donate anything I haven't used in the last two years. Once I have thinned the herd (as it were) I shall reorganize it. I will take more time to do this last section, but plan to be finished with this by mid April. Viva Spring! I am also deciding this week what I will plant in the garden as far as herbs and veggies go (my whole family decides what we want to plant and then we work together to make sure it is regularly weeded and harvested...last year we focused mainly on strawberries and tomatoes...to give the nieces and nephews practice with fairly easy to care for produce...this year we will be branching out! pretty excited about that actually!)
Of course...once I do all of this I will be uninterested in deep cleaning anything in my home for at least 11 months. Weird how that happens. It is like in March/April I reset for the entire year. I also feel more creative when things are clean/fresh/organized... strange as that may seem!
Happy Crafting and I hope you have a glorious Spring!
seckmea


No comments:
Post a Comment