When I was young i strove to make things that were symmetrical. I found balance soothing. Balance was beautiful to me. And who doesn't like balance? But as I grew older I was exposed to new ideas.
One such idea was brought to my attention by my "artsy" and delightful friend Pinnotheres. ..who asked me why I always worked so hard to make everything symmetrical. My response was a snarky "Because I can" (for someone who was uncomfortable admitting they were an artist I had a strong loyalty to my own sense of style as a teenager. ) Being a true friend Pinnotheres took my snark in stride and responded with "Well, yeah, but anyone can do symmetry. It's all over the natural world for instance...even leaves are symmetrical...don't you want to be unique? "
She was wise beyond our years. It wasn't long before her question began to rattle in my head. Of course I wanted to be unique. I was after all "highly original" as far as I was concerned. And I wanted what I created (even if I was still unwilling to admit I was an artist) to be as unique--and beautiful-- as myself. I decided to try this "asymmetry" idea, but quietly by myself so no one could make fun of me.
Maybe it was the lure of the new...the excitement of living outside the rules...but without the social consequences of breaking actual societal norms. Or maybe the asymmetry spoke to my soul in honeyed words. Or, perhaps it is just that asymmetry led to more complex symmetry and that in turn led to less boredom. Whatever the reason, the style soon became part of my artistic expression. I don't use it in everything that I do, but it can be found in many things that I have created.
So, in short--give asymmetry a chance; it can be beautiful, sexy, and interesting.
Happy Crafting,
Seckmea
No comments:
Post a Comment