Thursday, July 10, 2014

Internet: Swapbot

So, I seem to have lost June completely...I cannot even explain where all the time went! But, once again I am back with more internet delights~

Swapbot! How I love thee...

Several years ago, back in the dark ages of my life when I could not bring myself to admit that I was an artist, I found Swapbot on the internet...

I know what you are thinking...what a strange name? I wonder if it is a website dedicated to robots. (At least, that is what I thought upon seeing it.)  I was unsure if I even wanted to look into it...after all...though I use computers daily and love the internet...I have never been very mechanically savvy, at least I did not think I was as mechanically and technologically skilled as I would need to be to become a robot enthusiast...but, as always, my curiosity got the best of me...and I ventured in to figure out what exactly this Swapbot site was all about.

What is Swapbot you ask?

It is a delightful site where people come together to create/exchange/share art. Now, we already know about things like Deviant Art, a site where you can display your creativity and share it with others. And that site is great...But, Swapbot is a little different. It's members (it is free to join) actually join "Swaps" which are themed...so you could join a bucket list swap where you would send a list of all the things you wish to do in your life before you die. You might have to send this list to one, two, or four people...depending on what the swap calls for. Or you might do a swap for handmade bookmarks. Or a swap for random fabric pieces. Just depends. You fill out a member profile so that those you swap with can see what you are into. Say you joined a bookmark swap...the person you were swapping with might look on your profile and realize that your favorite color is green and you like cats...so they might use this information to make you a beautiful green bookmark with a cat on it. Why would they bother doing that? You might ask as they are already sending you a handmade bookmark. There could be several reasons for them doing so. They may really want to send you something that you love. Or they may have run out of ideas for what to make (this sometimes happens when you join a swap where you have a dozen swap partners). Why do they want you to have something that you truly love? Because the person who receives the item being swapped can "rate" the item(s) from 1-5 hearts. 5 being the best. The more Five Heart ratings you have the more others want to swap with you. Some Swaps have requirements that say you must have a ranking of such and such before you can join the swap. there are also groups. these swap groups are those with a special interest that they like to focus on. So, say you were really into the aforementioned bookmarks...you could join a special group dedicated to Swapping bookmarks (not all swaps are for handmade items some are even for store bought stuff--I just happen to really love handmade stuff so that is what I tend to swap for...that and books....). And then, when said group had a group swap you would be notified of it at once. There is also a dashboard to keep track of the Swaps you have joined, are considering, and those you have completed.

I found it wonderfully fun. I liked that I could be anonymous with the use of a screen name. I also liked the fact that it was an international. I have swapped with residents from Australia to England. Since I only speak/read English I was not able to join any swaps from countries that didn't speak English...but, had I been able to communicate I totally would have gone for the other countries as well.

I encourage you to check it out. It is a wonderful fun activity!

Happy Crafting and a Wonderful Summer!
Seckmea



No comments:

Post a Comment