Monday, May 20, 2013

Project Journals

Project Books

Have you ever been somewhere and thought of a Wonderful Idea? One that you wanted to attempt...but of course you were in the middle of a grocery store, at work, dinner with friends, on a nature hike, half asleep, waiting in the dentist office...or any number of other places that would prevent you from immediately starting on said Idea? If not then I congratulate you...for myself however, that is usually when I come up with my best ideas...that and when I am washing dishes! As a result I have a thousand scraps of paper Everywhere! I put them in my stash (usually with the type of craft it was for...though one time I found a bunch of beading ideas tucked into my book-making supplies!), in my purse, on my desk, trapped under a magnet on my fridge...I tend to put them somewhere "safe" after writing them down and then not move them to my crafting area a lot of the time. Sometimes the Idea is SO Wonderful that I remember it long after I scribbled it down...but a lot of times I write it down and then forget it...so this lack of organization becomes very counterproductive. And for me that is highly annoying.

How does a habitually disorganized woman become more organized? Well, not overnight that is for sure! And honestly...most of the time I am just not any where near a pen and paper...or a sketch book...when I need it...napkins, crayons, corners of newspapers, my phones calendar, Starbucks wrappers, markers...all these things are still needed to capture a rough sketch of my Idea. I just learned in fact how to use the "Voice Memo" function on my phone! Amazing...how did I live without this technology before?! Although, in all honesty...the voice memo isn't so great with things that need to be "visual" but for some things it is fantastic! So, I now have notes on that as well!

I know what all of those who are more organized are thinking...why don't I just bring a notebook and pen with me wherever I go? Such an elegant solution! And I can make my own journals so I could make it the exact size that I preferred out of paper that I adored. And yet...it is not one that has been successful for me. Of course, part of this is that when I pull a journal out a lot of times someone is like...oooh! I love that...can I have it...and I feel guilty saying "no" especially since I know it only took me about an hour to do the coptic stitch and I could easily create another one for myself at a later date. I also tend to forget that I have it or lose it. Or the pen breaks, or I will switch to a pencil to save my clothes/purse from ink stains, and the lead will bust and I will realize I should have brought a pencil sharpener as well. Once, in desperation, I used my nail file to sharpen a pencil...it was a rough day.

However, before you throw your hands up in despair over my uselessness. I agree...a single notebook is ideal--preferably one that has either graph paper or sketch paper inside rather than lined. And I also prefer the paper not to be white...I actually find it helps me think if the paper is a pale yellow shade...or a darker creamy shade of off-white. Bright white is too expectant~it waits with baited breath for you to mar it which just distracts me. I always feel like I can only put my BEST work on bright white paper...but with yellowy paper I can put my raw ideas and not worry about them being judged. Weird I know. But you have to do what feels best for you. So, how do I solve the other issues I mentioned about carrying said journal about. Simple...I don't carry it with me. It sits next to my bed on my nightstand, with both a pencil and a pen near it (in case my cat steals one of the writing utensils) that way I can write in it in the middle of the night if I wake up with an idea...and at the end of the day I can empty my pockets and purse, clean off my desk and dresser and transfer the ideas all to the notebook! I know it seems like extra work, but it is actually helpful to me. And this way I have a nice neat copy of my Wonderful Idea! And I can find it whenever I want! (Another plus!) And once I have transferred the idea I can toss the scrap in the trash! Thereby making things less cluttered overall. :]

Here is a picture of what one of my project journals looks like:






As you can see...the paper is yellowish...in this case it is very yellow-brown. And I have done this section with pencil. I like to date mine with when I start and when I finish...this particular project journal was just started in May 2013--and my first Wonderful Idea for it didn't happen until the 9th! Luckily that doesn't bother me at all. One of these journals will last me several months if I am having lots of ideas...and I have one journal that lasted me two years once! But since I mainly use it for ideas that come to me when I am not actively crafting that doesn't seem like such a big deal to me :]. Besides my goal isn't to have lots of ideas but rather to write down the ideas I do have! Not everyone can have billions of Wonderful Ideas...I can't imagine how hard that would be! When would you rest?!

You organize the idea any way that makes sense to you~after all...it is your idea...only you can organize it the best way for you! I like to have an image sketch (mice in this case) and then a list of information about my idea...in this case what materials I wish to use, some design ideas (I do think I will have to make one with a bow...too cute!), concerns (safety concerns me with these mice because I can't have my kitty getting hurt on a toy I made for him) and any alternate versions of the Idea that I might have at the time I am writing it down. For me one idea usually sparks another...and sometimes they have very little in common.

The best thing about this project journal is that when I feel antsy and I need a small project...or a project that is completely different than the one that is currently making me feel stuck...I can go to one of these books and look through them to chose a project. If I had a really great time creating a project from the book I put a "star" in a corner of the page and sometimes I will go back to the same project multiple times (like when I was obsessed with creating biscornu's). You don't need to do this of course, there are many other ways to keep your ideas organized. And I have seen some artists who don't even need things like this...it is all in their heads! (so jealous) And for years I lived with my piles of scraps without really having an issue. So, do whatever you feel most comfortable with!

Happy Creating
Seckmea






1 comment: